YOUTH ECO LABS
Youth Eco Labs by Impact Hub Phnom Penh and supported by the U.S. Embassy in Cambodia is a 3 months program to support young people with innovative ideas to tackle environmental challenges
10 teams have been carefully selected to participate in an intensive 3 months entrepreneurship support program. At the end of the Labs, all teams will present their innovative solutions and business plans at a public Demo Day to celebrate their achievements, gain exposure and receive advice from a panel of experts from the US Embassy, Impact Hub and environmental advisors.
The program includes 10 masterclasses covering entrepreneurship, environmental impact and leadership. Expert speakers and well-known entrepreneurs will share their experiences and advice. It also includes a field trip to allow teams to explore their ideas in the real world. At the end of the program, outstanding teams will be awarded Impact Hub membership for further support to turn their ideas into reality.
What do the Labs include?
Masterclasses: A series of 10 masterclasses will be held once a week, starting in the first week of February.
These workshops cover:
- Understanding the broad context of environmental issues in Cambodia and the environmental, social and economic impact.
- Understanding your user using human-centered design thinking to understanding how the problem affects individual users and communities.
- Designing the innovative solution, thinking creatively to ideate innovative solutions.
- Rapid prototyping to build lean models to test the solution with potential users and critical thinking to analyze results.
- Delivering the solution, analyzing opportunities, understanding and designing business models through which to deliver the solution.
- Strategic planning to identify long-term goals and short-term objectives to reach these goals.
- Communication and storytelling to communicate effectively through social media and offline.
- Mindful leadership skills in fair, balanced and thoughtful leadership.
- Building high-performance teams.
- Effective decision making, critical analysis and negotiation.
Field Trip: Participants will be awarded an exposure field trip to experience environmental challenges, further research their idea and test their innovation with potential users.
Mentoring and Coaching Circles: In addition, each team will be matched with a personal mentor who will provide 1-on-1 personal advice and support throughout the program. Youth Eco Labs Coaching Circles will also be held, where participants come together to share challenges and provide one another with solutions and advice.
Demo Day: At the end of the Labs, all teams will present their ideas at a public event, where they will receive advice to develop their ideas further and be presented with completion certificates.
What is the aim of the Labs?
At the end of the Labs, each team will have developed and tested an innovation capable of solving an environmental problem and have designed and tested a business model for delivering this impact to users/customers. Participants will also develop their personal skills in leadership, team building, personal responsibility and creativity.
Outstanding teams will be awarded 1 years Impact Hub membership, for ongoing support and promotion.
Want to come to the Demo Day?
If you are interested in seeing the outcomes or Youth Eco Labs, and learning more about the 10 exciting new environmental startups, you are welcome to join us at the Demo Day on 30th May 2018. We will be sharing more details closer to the date. Stay in touch and get updates by following the Impact Hub Phnom Penh Facebook Page here.
Let’s meet the teams! Click here for the details!