Welcome to DakDam Labs!
“DakDam” – To plant a seed
Did you know that agriculture makes up 70% of Cambodia’s labour force? However, competition is increasing as neighbouring countries use more advanced farming techniques and many Cambodian farmers find it difficult to make enough money for their families. Agriculture in Cambodia needs innovating: do you have what it takes to create an impact?
We’re looking for creative, ambitious innovators to take on these farming challenges by making innovative new products and building awesome new businesses. You’ll need to be ready to get your hands dirty, to grab tools to build new equipment and test these with farmers. Then you’ll work on a business plan to have a real impact.
DakDam Labs is funded by ANDE, organised by Synergy, and supported by Impact Hub Phnom Penh and MakerBay.
What is it?
DakDam Labs is a unique, 3-month program for aspiring inventor-entrepreneurs (like you!). We’ll provide everything you need to become an ‘impact inventor’.
By the end of the program, you will have built an innovative product for the agriculture sector that you can turn into a viable business.
The program includes workshops, a group field trip, peer-to-peer coaching and a demo day and we will provide all facilities, tools, materials and mentors.
DakDam Labs in detail:
Over 10 workshops you’ll learn:
- About the challenges in the agricultural section in Cambodia.
- How human-centered design can help you understand and work with the farming community to build products they will love.
- How to use wood and metalwork tools to actually build your own product for farmers to use. You’ll have ongoing access to facilities to allow you to work on building your product throughout the Labs
- How to create a successful business model to allow your product to reach the market.
Group Field Trip
You’ll be building a real product to solve real problems, so a three-day trip to meet farmers will allow you to understand their lives and discover how you can build a product and business to help them.
When you’re an entrepreneur, a supportive community of like-minded people is vital. You’ll join peer-to-peer coaching circles, a chance to share challenges and source solutions, feel supported and motivate each other through this challenging and rewarding program.
You will receive a budget to allow you to build your product and fund your own team trip to test it with farmers to receive their feedback.
DakDam Labs is all about your experience as an inventor-entrepreneurs, so the Demo Day will give you to chance to tell your story – what you learnt, the changes you made, the impact you will have on the farming community in Cambodia. Don’t worry, you’ll receive plenty of help to prepare your presentation – a key skill for entrepreneurship!
Hub Entrepreneurs Club
Our support doesn’t stop after the program finishes! If you would like to continue working on your product development and business beyond the Labs, you will have access to ongoing and further entrepreneurial support from Impact Hub Phnom Penh.
What will you achieve?
As a participant in this intensive Labs, we will help you to:
- Deeply understand the challenges and opportunities in the agriculture sector
- Gain an in-depth understanding of your users and their lives
- Develop design and invention skills, including wood and metalwork
- Develop a “Makers mentality”, including creativity, invention and innovative thinking skills
- Create an initial prototype which can be used by farmers for their feedback
- Understand more about how to develop a viable business model
- Develop presentation and effective communication skills
Who is it for?
DakDam Labs is looking for impact innovators and inventors who are passionate about disrupting the agricultural sector in Cambodia. You will be committed to impacting in the agriculture sector, but looking for access to knowledge, resources and opportunities to turn your skills into impact.
You will need to show:
- A strong interest in the agricultural sector
- Passion for learning how to build a real product and learn skills in wood and metal work (NO previous wood or metal working experience required)
- Have the interest and drive to get out of the city and test your ideas with farmers
- Be highly motivated to have a positive impact through product design and entrepreneurship
- The confidence and flexibility to work with new people in new environments
- Speak Khmer and English
- Apply as an individual or as a team (up to 3 members)
- Apply with or without an idea (you can develop your idea during the program)
- Ability to commit 12 hours/week to your project, including organising your own field trip to test your product with farmers (budget provided)
- Capacity to complete the full program, including all workshops and the field trip (22-24 September) (all dates shown in the application form).
How to apply
- Apply before midnight on Monday 27th August using this application form
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited for interview on Friday 31st August and Monday 3rd September
- Selected participants will be informed by Tuesday 4th Sept
- Workshops start on Friday 7th September. 6pm-8pm (more information about the dates are in the application form)
If you have any questions please get in touch with Abi Perriman at email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you!