Written by Abigail Perriman
Impact Hub Phnom Penh, HEKS Cambodia and the Swiss Agency for Development & Cooperation (SDC) Cambodia are excited to launch applications for the DakDam Incubator!
“In Cambodia, the agriculture sector plays a very important role by providing food security and income to a large number of farmers and farm workers. However, small-holder farmers face various challenges. At HEKS we believe that innovative business solutions can address many of these problems. That’s why we want to support entrepreneurs who provide environmentally-friendly products or services to farmers that can make a difference to their lives.“ Cheng Virak, Senior Program Officer, HEKS Cambodia
DakDam Incubator is a 7-month Agriculture Incubation Program designed for entrepreneurs with an environmentally friendly prototype or business that has the potential to impact the agricultural sector across Cambodia. The program will support participants to develop a viable, responsible business model to get their product or service to the market. The ultimate goal of the business will be increasing incomes, reducing costs or improving resilience of small-holder farmers, in particular women.
“We are targeting entrepreneurs, startups and micro businesses who need technical and soft skills training, access to tailored support, funding and the networks to grow their product or service to the next level. As Impact Hub’s second program working exclusively with innovators in the Agriculture sector, we are excited to help develop tested products or services into viable businesses.” Kim Kosoma, Communications Manager, Impact Hub Phnom Penh
- Funding: Those selected to join the Incubation Phase will have access to up to $7500 in grant funding
- Workshops: Business workshops delivered by topic experts
- Mentoring: Personal mentor to support entrepreneurs’ personal development
- Coaching: Sector and industry experts for tailored expert support
- Network & Connections: Access to Impact Hub’s national and international network, with strategic connections for partnership development
- Field work: Advice on how to conduct regular field trips and analyze the results of testing prototype and business models directly with farmers
- Demo Days: An opportunity for participants to case their business in front of investors, strategic partners and the public, to build nation and region wide exposure and awareness
Target/Who is it for?
- Prototype Stage (See “What is a prototype?” section below)
- Or Startup Stage (making sales to customers)
- We are looking for participants who want to learn how to turn their prototype or business into a responsible and sustainable, growing business model.
- Cambodian citizen
- Limited or no experience in starting/growing a business required
- An entrepreneurial attitude and passion for the Agriculture sector
- Minimum of 2 co-founders with the skills and technical ability to execute the business idea
- Women founders are highly encouraged to apply
- Participants must:
- Be based in Cambodia
- Be able to travel to Phnom Penh for the Bootcamp, Demo Day and Showcase (expenses covered)
- Have internet connection to join workshops and mentoring session online
- Be able to travel out of Phnom Penh (to province) for field work to conduct regular field trips and testing prototype and business model directly with farmers
- Can work on their startup for a minimum of 12 hours per week for duration of program (7 months)
- Agree to complete surveys during, and for 2 years following, the program for monitoring and evaluation purposes
- Business has the potential for social/environmental impact in Agriculture
- Environmentally-friendly products and services to meet the needs of small-holder farmers, in particular women.
- Such products or services may include, but are not restricted to, solutions to increase production, improve productivity, lower costs (e.g. low-cost inputs, mechanization), value addition at the farm level, new markets with better prices, improve health or increase resilience.
Apply before 16th August
More information and how to apply: https://phnompenh.impacthub.net/dakdamincubator/